Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Host Family


Well, when Giulia left me at the airport, I instantly missed her a LOT already. However, I gained a family just a few hours later. My host mom and kids (Amalie, William, and Oscar) all picked me up at DIS once I got there! On the ride home, I could say it was a little awkward at first just because the kids were shy to talk to me and Helle is not always 100% clear to me. HA! It’s ok though, because they started making a great effort when we arrived home, where they showed me I will be staying.

The room that they gave me was well put together, rectangular, and just big enough for all my stuff. It is wonderful because there are candles everywhere in my room, which I enjoy lighting on a nightly basis. My family lights candles every night, and only waits to turn on lights until it is very dark out. I don’t mind at all. I actually really enjoy it.

However, it was a whirlwind when I arrived to the house for the first day. They soon started emptying their fridge and started making sandwiches that are very basic. Most the time they just butter very dark brown bread (with LOTS of grains) in it, with some meat or cheese. The other thing that my host sister taught me was a little other sandwich they make, where you butter bread and add chocolate. I don’t mean nutella; I mean actual chocolate that is pressed thinly. I can’t believe I have never thought of this before… It’s delicious! There are carrots, and they make a pot of tea… and I asked… “We are bringing hot tea on the picnic?” Well you can pretty much do whatever you please in Denmark when it comes to picnics because there are baskets on the front of a lot of bikes. Amalie and I both have baskets on our bikes, one of which I was borrowing and was way too high for me so I teetered on the edge of falling over every time we stopped. Yeah, I looked pretty dumb.

So they take me on this crazy bike ride to the royal gardens outside Fredriksborg castle, it’s about a 10 minute ride. We sit outside looking at the castle and one of the lakes, it’s pretty amazing. One thing that I think I’ll always remember is when Oscar (who is 10) was talking to me, and taught me my first Danish sentence. I can’t spell it but he taught me how to say, “My name is Kali” is Danish. It was so freakin’ cute.

After our nice little picnic they continued to show me the way to the train station, where I was supposed to ride the bike to everyday. Yeah. That didn’t last because on my first day coming back I got lost in the woods. So since then I have been taking the bus and learning my way around. Then I will try again.

Once the bike ride was over I thought that I would be done for the day and we would eat dinner and such. Nope. My host dad, Claus, came home and they whirled me around to the tennis courts where we preceded to play tennis or a few hours. It was very nice of then to take me to play because I think I mentioned that I play tennis ONCE to them. My host family is VERY perceptive and good at listening. Claus and I ended up playing one of his friends and another American student. Claus and I won. AHHH yeah family bonding. It’s great isn’t it?

Since writing the upper part of this blog, it has been over a week. I was so busy that I never was able to finish. But I have been able to figure out a lot more about the Danes since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment