Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BIKE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!111

Well, I guess you could say that the first thing I felt pretty scared when I started my adventure to Denmark . I seriously sat in the terminal and thought, ‘holy cow, I’m going to go LIVE in another country.’ I was freaking out. But, I told myself to suck it up and enjoy the adventure.

I started my journey in Denver, with my mom and dad, who had helped me pack 4 months’ worth of clothes the night before. I think I did pretty well by only packing one HUGE suitcase and a duffle bag, I mean, a lot of the room went to shoes alone! The huge bag weighed 60 pounds… but we had a cool guy behind the counter who didn’t charge for the extra weight. Saweeetttt. Other than that, all I did for the next two flights is sleep. When I woke up, I was magically in COPENHAGEN!

I guess you could say my first few hours in Denmark were a physical strugglefest for me. I mean, I had a lot of STUFF I had to carry alone. Huge bag, duffle, backpack, and purse. It must have weighed 120 pounds. I was bringing my huge bag to DIS, but you just can’t leave your bags in the airport… if you do they think it’s a bomb or something. SO. I struggle my way down to the train station. In Denmark it’s weird. There is the metro, and then there is the S train. The metro will take you to some of the places the S does, but sometimes it won’t. Tricky Danes didn’t fool me, so I bought my ticket to Nørreport station. I almost don’t get off at my stop for two reasons. A) It sounds like they muffle and mubble everything when you first hear Danish, and B) Nørreport is underground, so I was dumb and thought the train was just stopped for a moment. The struggletrain continued when I get out and find the elevator isn’t working. I mean, it’s a CLIMB (about 2-3 stories) so this other girl (with a huge baby cart) and I look helplessly around for another elevator… there isn’t one. So I gear myself up for the long climb and think “at least it’ll be my workout today” and stand at the end of the stairs looking dumb. The awesome part about this is that a Danish girl comes up to me and asks if I need help, which we lug my crap up to the second story where another Danish girl decides to join our little parade and helps us. First note: Danish people both nice and strong.

When I finally reach the top, the first thing I see is BIKES. BIKES EVERYWHERE. Seriously its crazy how many bikes there are in Copenhagen. I find a taxi and ask how far DIS is, which is only a 5 dollar ride so I hop in and finally get to DIS and drop off my bags. After that I walked around back to the station to go pick up Giulia from the airport.

Giulia! The little Italian, came barreling towards me with her small suitcase and we look like a bunch of giddy little girls when laugh and hug. Giulia and I proceed to confuse ourselves with the train system again, but finally make it to Svanmøllen, where we find our bed and breakfast between a sushi restaurant and a acupuncture shop. Our host is a Danish designer, Signe Bøgelund-Jensen, who welcomes us and shows us around. Her studio is literally behind our room. She let us go through all of her clothes, and told us about her new line, which has a lot to do with earthy colors and natural movements. I’m not gonna lie, I felt really cool.

Giulia and I preceded to walk down our local street for a while trying to find a restaurant…. But surprise! Everything is REALLY expensive in Copenhagen! Oh, and if you want to eat out…. Surprise! EVERYTHING is in Danish! No English at all. If you want to sit in a proper restaurant it’s going to be at least 20 dollars a plate, and that’s fun if you have no idea what to order. So we find the cheapest place to eat, which is a decent pizza shop, and proceed to buy individual pizzas for around 9 dollars each. We had to ask the guy in the shop (all Danes speak English amazingly) about EVERY single item listed. I know that skinke means ham now. I remember it because the word reminds me of skunk. Anyways, the pizza was actually really good. Giulia the Italian approved so it made the shop owner really happy. Then Giulia and I finally went to bed after a VERY long day.


Here are some coolio pictures of the place we are staying.









No comments:

Post a Comment