Friday, December 9, 2011

BUDAAAA PEST!!



OK so, this is probably a mediocre bloggity. However, you shall read.

Budapest, and beyond!

Budapest is an incredible place to visit. It was a nice financial break also. When Meghan and I finally arrived (after missing our first bus) we were desperate to find some food because we literally had not eaten or 12 hours. Despite being in a kind of sketchy part of town, we were in a really nice hotel, complete with almost see-through glass shower that was open to the rest of the room. Weird much?

We ended up eating at a Chinese place, I got an entire meal and drink for a grand total of 4 dollars. 1 usd =216 Forint! The next few days were a whirl of fun; we did all of the touristy things, like going to fisherman’s bastion, the church, a chairlift ride. All of these things were completely magical. I never thought I could see something so beautiful.


Budapest is also known for its medicinal waters, and Meghan and I couldn’t say no to the spas! First we went to one of the oldest and largest spas in Budapest, the Szechenyi baths. Meghan and I were not quite prepared for the baths, as we did not have towels, or sandals to wear around. The baths were pretty fun, despite the plethora of hairy people around us. Each bath had a different type of medicinal value, and all of them typically smelled different. I remember one bath in particular that smelled like mint. After we were done with the baths Meghan and I proceeded to dry ourselves off with the complimentary wall hair dryers, and then we passed out!


Our luxurious stay in Budapest was continued the next day on Nov. 6. (day before my birthday!) where Meghan and I went to a beautiful spa that was incredibly far from Budapest! We had quite the fiasco getting there! Frist, we got massages. In Hungary, massage therapists expect you to get naked in front of them. My masseuse was a 20-something boy. There was NO way that was happening so we hand signaled until he got out!! Soooo awkward. But the massage was good. After the massage fiasco, Meghan and I both received baths with special chocolate stuff in it, and then we got our facials. After the facial both Meghan and I got a haircut! How much for all of this you ask? 100 dollars. Insane!! The staff was absolutely wonderful and accommodating and if you ever go to Budapest go to the Oriental spa at the Ramada!

After being pampered for the day Meghan and I went to Fraust Wine Cellar for a wine tasting. It was excellent. All of the wines were from Hungary and our sommelier lead us through all of the wines. I tasted the best red wine I had ever had there. Needless to say, I didn’t want to leave!! Meghan and I left slightly loaded. Can you say perfect day? How lucky can I possibly be?



No comments:

Post a Comment